Our HistoryBehind every great success story is a
Mercantile Bank of Michigan
Mercantile Bank of Michigan was founded in 1997 by Directors and Bankers who firmly believe that the customers, employees, and the communities they live in, are best served by financial institutions with local ties. Mercantile has a strong and extensive commercial and retail banking presence in Michigan, offering innovative technology products that are second to none.
And today, as we look into the future, our belief in mutually beneficial relationship banking on both the consumer and corporate levels is key to strengthening the communities we live and serve. This personal focus will enable us to deliver our services in a way that truly sets us apart from our competitors.
Mercantile Bank of Michigan Board of Directors
- David M. Cassard (Retired - Real Estate Executive)
- Edward J. Clark (American Seating Company)
- Michael S. Davenport (Jireh Metal Products, Inc.)
- Thomas D. Dickinson (Biggs, Hausserman, Thompson & Dickinson P.C.)
- Michelle L. Eldridge (Clear Ridge Wealth Management)
- Michael D. Faas (Retired - Metro Health Corporatoin)
- Jeff A. Gardner (Gardner Group)
- Kurt D. Hassberger (Rockford Construction)
- Doyle A. Hayes (dhayesGroup & Pyper Placements)
- Joseph D. Jones (Grand Rapids Urban League)
- Robert B. Kaminski (Mercantile Bank of Michigan)
- Diane R. Maher (DP Fox Ventures, LLC)
- David B. Ramaker Michigan Baseball Foundation)
- Michael H. Price (Retired - Mercantile Bank of Michigan)
- Raymond E. Reitsma (Mercantile Bank of Michigan)
- Phillip R. Seybert (PS Equities)
- Shoran Reid Williams (Miller Johnson)
History of Community Banking Excellence
In 2014 Mercantile Bank and Firstbank Corporation completed a merger of equals to form, at the time, the fourth largest Michigan-based bank by deposit market share, but our combined roots go deep into each of the local communities we serve. Both organizations brought together a history of local decision making, unparalleled customer service and the ability to create premier community banks throughout Michigan. Today, Mercantile Bank of Michigan is the third largest Michigan-based bank by deposit market share. We are proud of our history and are working hard to ensure that our organization continues to serve the needs of all our markets for generations to come.
In 1985, the Bank of Alma, with roots dating back into the 1800's, formed a holding company known as Firstbank Corporation. Firstbank quickly grew in the coming years with the addition of banks in Mt. Pleasant, Lakeview, and West Branch. The holding company founded a newly chartered bank for the St. Johns market in 2000, and Keystone Community Bank was added to the organization in 2005. Ionia County National Bank was added in 2007 to complete a wide-reaching branch network, using the names Firstbank and Keystone Community Bank, stretching from southwest Michigan through central and northern Michigan.